With IBPS exams round the corner, you must be preparing for PO, Clerk and RRB exams. Being one of the most preferred career choices in the banking industry, lakhs of aspirants appear for the IBPS CWE Clerk recruitment examination. IBPS Clerk 2016 exam will be held in November-December 2016.
This article explicates IBPS Clerk job profile, roles and salary structure.
IBPS Clerk Job Profile
IBPS Clerk is an entry level position in Public Sector Banks (PSBs). Bank Clerks are involved in customer interaction and support. They assist you in performing simple tasks.
At a clerical post, your major roles and responsibilities include:
- Document verification
- Managing window counter tasks
- Passbook updation
- Clearing and transferring cheques
- Verification of signatures and discrepancies
- Issue cash receipts and ESI Stamps at counters
Hence, it is evident that an IBPS Clerk gets exposure to various job profiles throughout his career and opportunity to hone multiple skills.
Let’s further read about the remunerations offered to an IBPS Clerk.
IBPS Clerk Salary, Perks and Allowances
The basic pay scale of an IBPS Clerk usually ranges between Rs. 11,765 – Rs. 42,020.
Here Rs. 11,765 is the Basic pay.
Major set of allowances are as follows:
- Dearness Allowance: In PSBs, DA is revised quarterly. DA increases with CPI. It is directly proportional to CPI. At present, Dearness Allowance is 39.4% of the Basic Salary.
- House Rent Allowance: HRA depends on the place of posting. It can be 8.50%, 7.50% and 6.50% depending upon metros, big cities and other locations. Broadly, HRA lies in the range of 7-9% of the Basic Salary.
- Special Allowance (7.5%)
- Medical Allowance: It is paid annually. For a clerk, it is fixed at Rs. 2000.
Hence, with the added perks and bonus package, the salary of an IBPS Clerk is quite good compared to most jobs at the same level in various industries. Let us move to a very crucial section, which will help in outlining a career path as a bank clerk.
IBPS Clerk Career Progression
As explained earlier, a Bank Clerk is an entry level position. The Clerk in a Public Sector Bank gets plenty of opportunities to enhance his career and get promotions.
- Promotion on the basis of education/ internal examinations
One of the best ways to rise up in a clerical post is through departmental examinations and education.
- Pursue a Post Graduation Degree to improve your educational profile and get promoted to higher positions.
- Departmental/ Internal examination are an avenue to promotion. This not only gives jump to your career but also increases your salary and allowances.
- Regular increments
Salary in Public Sector banks are revised and increased as the norms. Your salary will increase as per banking norms, but you will still remain in the Clerical cadre.
Therefore, it is advisable to take departmental exams and give a boost to your career.
Without wasting time, kick-start your IBPS Clerk preparation. You can enroll for CL’s Bank Classroom program or join CL’s IBPS Clerk Test Series for both Prelims and Main exam. If you are unable to take regular classes, you have an option to enroll for CL’s Bank Online Classes, which gives you the flexibility to learn anytime and from anywhere.
Stay tuned for exam updates and more.
All the best!
You might also like to read, The logical solution to attempt IBPS clerk banking exam