Are you intrigued by politico-spokespersons who feature on news channels every evening? Do you aspire to be one of those? Prominent legal dynasties, the ones whose scions have made a name for themselves in other arenas but are popular nonetheless are those of Singhvis, Bhushans, Goswamis, Narimans, Bhatias, Chudasamas, etc.
Scions of such families are always under media glare not just because they have done something in their careers but because they were born into a family where fame came with the surname. Gandhi family is an instance of kids being acquainted early to the affection that the general public has given to the family over the years; Priyanka Gandhi’s children Miraya and Raihan accompany their mother for campaigning during elections and already have an inkling of what it is like to be associated with the Gandhi-Vadra family. As this holds true for political families, so it does for scions of lawyers.
Details on scions of prominent Indian Legal-political families:
- Shanti and Prashant Bhushan were associated with the Aam Aadmi Party, and its precursor fight against corruption. The two enjoyed respect from the party functionaries till the time their relationship with Arvind Kejriwal soured.
- Fali and Rohinton Nariman: The father-son duo is active in Indian courts and the latter has even reached the Supreme Court’s judges bench. Fali derives his name from his knowledge of the constitution and the ability to counsel the Government on amendments that are likely to invite PILs. These are usually dismissed by the Supreme Court but if the public opinion is in favour of the ones filing the PIL, then a constitutional jurist like him is the one who can take an unbiased decision and the judgement too would be respected. Rohinton too is a judge of the Supreme Court of India having also worked for the Government of India as the Solicitor General.
- Bhatias: Gaurav Bhatia and his father, both politicians and lawyers have been active politicians in the Uttar Pradesh. Their career path has followed the same trajectory, moving from Government jobs as Advocate General and Additional Advocate General respectively for the father-son duo. Virendra Bhatia was also a Rajya Sabha MP. Gaurav Bhatia handles Samajwadi Party’s legal affairs, is a spokesperson for the party. His prominence in the party indicative of his future in the party as it is not unlikely that he would also get a Rajya Sabha or Lok Sabha seat in the near future.
- Chudasamas: Nana Chudasama and Shaina NC carry the legacy of her grandfather who was a Police Commissioner. Mr. Chudasama is a jurist, former Mayor and Sheriff revered in the political-legal social circle. His daughter is a BJP member and a spokesperson. She has also been associated with the glitz and glamour of the entertainment industry as a fashion designer.
- Jethmalanis: Talking about him as a nonagenarian lawyer would not do justice to his ability as a person who is a much-respected lawyer whose services are sought after even today. His children, Mahesh & Rani Jethmalani, are also lawyers. Mahesh happens to be a well-known face. He does not represent any political party but is seen arguing for or against an issue that is of importance to the public. Mahesh is the one on friendly terms with news anchors like Arnab Goswami and Barkha Dutt while Ram Jethmalani is the one even Arnab does not dare to raise his voice against.