In a surprising move, the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) has backtracked on two of its major decisions regarding NEET 2019. First, the exam is not going to be held in a Computer-Based Testing (CBT) mode; and second, it is not going to be conducted twice a year. The MHRD explained that they were following the recommendations of the Health Ministry which had its qualms about whether the rural students would be able to adapt to the CBT mode, as well as regarding the logistics required for conducting the exam twice annually. This means that NEET 2019 will be a pen-and-paper test.
The MHRD has also released the important dates for the NEET 2019 exam which are as follows:
|NEET 2019 Exam||Date|
|Registration||November 1st to November 30th, 2018|
|Downloading of Admit Cards||April 15th, 2019|
|Date of Examination||May 5th, 2019|
|Announcement of Results||June 5th, 2019|
About NEET 2019
NEET ( National Eligibility cum Entrance Test ) is a national level entrance exam for those seeking admission to MBBS / BDS courses in India. It covers a wide array of medical and dental colleges all over India. About 14 lakh aspirants gave the exam in 2018, vying for the 65000-odd seats in various medical colleges.
NEET 2019 Format
|Subject||Number of Questions||Marks|
|Biology ( Zoology+Botany )||90||360|
- A candidate is awarded 4 marks for a correct answer and -1 for an incorrect answer.
- No mark is deducted for any un-attempted question.
- The duration of the exam is 180 minutes. There is no specific time allotment for the respective sections.
- The total number of questions is 180, while the total marks are 720.
- The exam is available in the following languages- English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Oriya, Kannada and Urdu.
NEET 2019 Application
The application process is online, with the application form made available on the official website. Candidates are advised to go through the eligibility criteria and fill the form carefully. The application fee was Rs 1400 for General & OBC candidates and Rs 750 for SC/ST/PH candidates in NEET 2018.
NEET 2019 Eligibility Criteria
A candidate must be between 17-25 years of age (up to 30 years, in case of reserved categories).
Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizen of India (OCIs), Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) & Foreign Nationals are also eligible to sit for the exam.
NEET 2019 Qualification Criteria
A student needs to secure pass marks individually in Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English, as well as obtain a minimum aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology/Biotechnology as specified below:
NEET 2019 Admission
- Admission to all MBBS / BDS courses is done through NEET. This means all medical colleges in India, except for AIIMS and JIPMER.
- Seats of all government medical and dental colleges are divided into two quotas- 15% All India Quota and 85% State Quota. This means 15% of the total seats available in those colleges are transferred to the All India Quota (also known as the central pool). Counselling for these seats is conducted by the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC), while that for the remaining 85% seats is conducted by the respective State authorities.
- For 15% All India Quota seats, all candidates who qualify NEET UG are eligible to participate in the counselling process; whereas for 85% State Quota seats, the candidates are also required to fulfil the domicile criteria (as laid down by the conducting body of the relevant State).
- Earlier, students would try to bypass giving NEET in India and go abroad to pursue an MBBS / BDS in places with lax educational requirements. But now, it is mandatory for students going abroad to sit for NEET; and secure at least the cutoff marks in order to obtain an Eligibility Certificate for the colleges abroad.
You may also like to read: Clearing NEET has become mandatory to pursue MBBS abroad.
If you have any questions about NEET 2019, please let us know in the comments section below.