Totally confused about the recruitment exams conducted by UPSC? Don’t worry! We are here to iron out all your doubts. This post aims to provide insight into the various recruitment exams by UPSC-Union Public Service Commission.
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) – The India’s central agency Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), conducts nation-wide examinations to recruit personnel for various central or government service posts. The organization is authorized to conduct the Civil Services Examination, Combined Medical Services Examination, Engineering Services Examination, Combined Defence Services Examination, Naval Academy Examination, National Defence Academy Examination, Special Class Railway Apprentice, Indian Economic Service & Indian Statistical Service Examination, Combined Geoscientist and Geologist Examination, Indian Forest Service examination and (Assistant Commandant) Central Armed Police Forces Examination.
Various exams conducted by UPSC in detail:
Civil Service examinations- UPSC conducts the Civil Services Examination for the selection of cadre to the government services. To know more about Civil Services exams and what do they do explore CL’s UPSC home.
Various posts and government services offered by UPSC under Civil Services exams are:
- IAS- Indian Administrative Service
- IFS- Indian Foreign Service
- IPS-Indian Police Service
- IRS-Indian Revenue Service
- Other Central Services
Eligibility Criteria for IAS:
- Nationality: For appointment to the IAS and IPS, the applicant must be an Indian citizen. For all other services, applicants can be the citizen of India or a Person of Indian Origin (PIO).
- Age: The age limit for the applicant lies in the range of 21 to 32 years.
- Educational Qualification: The applicant should be a graduate or possess an equivalent qualification obtained from a recognized university. Candidates awaiting their results are also eligible for the Prelim exams.
- Attempts: Putting a ceiling on the number of attempts, UPSC has allowed for six attempts for IAS exams while there is no such limit imposed for SC/ST category.
National Defence Academy NDA: The Union Public Service Commission UPSC again conducts an exam at national level twice a year named National Defense Academy NDA and Naval Academy. The exams are conducted generally in the month of April and September. The courses offered under this are Army, Navy and Air Force. After clearing the written test, candidates have to go through an interview by SSB (Service Selection Board) under the ministry of Defence.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants of Defence exams must go through the following:
- Nationality: The applicant should necessarily be a citizen of India and must have a domicile certificate to support his nationality. NDA allows foreign nationals but clarification for the same is needed from the respective embassies.
- Age: Aspirants of NDA exams must be of 17 to 20 years of age.
- Educational Qualification: No bar on the minimum percentage qualification. The candidate must have studies physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in the higher secondary examination and he or she must be 10+2 pass.
Combined Defence Services CDS: UPSC conducts the Combined Defence Services (CDS) the open competitive examination for admission of candidates in Indian Military Academy IMA, Indian Naval Academy INA, Air Force Academy and Officers AFAO, and Officers Training Academy. To know more about CDS exams you can explore CL’s CDS exam page.
Eligibility criteria: For CDS Applicants:
- Nationality: Candidate must be of Indian Nationality.
- Age: Candidate should be in the age group of 20 to 24 years for INA, IMA, AFA courses. The age limit for Officers’ Training Academy is 25 years.
- Marital Status: For CDS exams, only unmarried candidates are eligible to apply.
- Educational Qualification: The educational qualification for different courses is different. Candidates with a degree from recognized university in Engineering with Physics and Mathematics in 10th and 12th can apply for the exam.
- Physical Standards:For admission to Combined Defence Services Examination candidates must be physically fit.
Indian Engineering Services IES- The Government of India recruits the candidates who can meet the technical and managerial functions of the government. This is a combined three-stage competitive examination called Engineering Services Examination (ESE) exam comprising five tests, conducted by UPSC to recruit IES.
Recruitment under IES examination is made to the services and posts under categories such as:
- Category I – Civil Engineering
- Category II‐Mechanical Engineering
- Category III‐Electrical Engineering
- Category IV‐ Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering.
- Nationality: A citizen of India or of Indian origin.
- Age limit: The Candidates applying for the examination should be in the age group of 21-30 years
- Educational Qualification: The candidates should possess at least a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or equivalent in Engineering (B.E./ B. Tech). M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Electronics, Wireless Communications, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as special subjects is also acceptable but for certain posts only.
Indian Economic and statistical Services IES ISS- The exam conducted by UPSC for the appointment of economics and statistics enthusiasts for the post of IES and ISS. Candidates are placed in various cadre posts in the planning board, planning commission, national sample survey, ministry of economic affairs, and other allied offices where specialists in statistics and economics are required.
- Nationality: Candidates who are having the citizenship of India and those who are the migrants or of Indian origin.
- Age: The minimum age is 21 years and maximum age is 30 years to apply for IES ISS exams. Candidates of OBC/SC/ST and PH categories have the age relaxation from minimum 3 years to maximum 10 years.
- Educational Qualification: Applicants must have the post graduate degree in Economics/Business Economics or in Applied Economics to appear for IES exam. For the ISS Exam 2016, the candidates must hold a post graduate degree in in Mathematical Statistics or Statistics/Applied Statistical.
Hope this post gave you a detailed insight into various key jobs recruitment exam by UPSC.